2022 ICSS Conference
The 2022 Iowa Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference will be taking place October 3rd at Prairie Meadows Casino in Altoona. The theme for this year's conference is "Engage-Empower-Inspire: Citizens in the Making".
Why Join ICSS?
ICSS has been recognized as a Gold Star Council by the National Council for Social Studies
This recognition was based on the following criteria:
1. Have democratic procedures for the election of officers.
2. Have demonstrated professional activity, such as workshops, conferences, and generally, programs that promote the social studies within their region.
3. Have actively participated in NCSS programs, such as brokering, submitting nominations for NCSS awards, attendance at the Summer Leadership Institute and legislative networking .
4. Have actively participated in social studies legislative advocacy efforts at state and/or at Federal level by: responding to NCSS legislative advocacy calls, disseminating calls to council members, building relationships with legislators, having an active legislative liaison, and developing a legislative advocacy plan.
5. Have contributed to NCSS fundraising efforts, such as the First Timer Scholarship Fund for the NCSS Annual Conference, the Fund for the Advancement of Social Studies Education, or the Christa McAuliffe "Reach for the Stars" Award Fund
6. Have 100% NCSS membership of council officers.
7. Have a specific plan for increasing NCSS membership in their state and underrepresented groups in their council.
8. Have shown an increase in the number of joint members.
9. Submit affiliation materials by deadline.
Image left: ICSS Executive board members Catherine Mein and Todd Hospodarsky accept the Iowa Council for the Social Studies award as an NCSS Gold Star Council.